Wednesday 6 August 2008

ALLOTMENT SHOWOFF 1: TOMATOES, PLATE OF SIX

10th August
these 6 gorgeous tomatoes belong to Iris from Society Garlic 
She is a woman of many talents, including being a crime reporter, so watch what you say about these beauties. She's another Austin blogger, so while I say tomato, she probably says tomato, but I have no wish to call anything off as a result. Aren't they gorgeous? Sorry, I'll stop going on about it now. 

















13 august
From Blackpitts, with the following caveat: 

"Okay. So there are only five tomatoes and they are not on a plate."















definitely nice ones though.


19 August
The superior ripening qualities of the French climate are in evidence in Fat Rascal's entry, but even the FR only managed to get five tomatoes. Never mind this show could never be described as "strict", really. Thems beauties. They model themselves in several different locations, too, to show off their Carla-Bruni-like versatility:















Tomato "Tarzan":




















my personal favourite, Tomato "Don't Fence Me In":




















21 August
WH sends these tippety-top class cherry toms, with the following note: 
"Technically these are scrumped from my flatmate. If nothing else I think they might clinch the most-in-focus prize?" 
Hmm. I don't think I was planning to award a prize for most-in-focus, but on the other hand, the village show must move with these digital times. Consider the gong awarded.




















26 august
VP's having the same problems as everyone else: "Here's my tomato entry. It's a mummy tomato with her babies - sadly this is likely to be my only chance to enter the this category as blight is ripping through the rest of them :("

















27 August
These tomatoes could go in for Sarah Raven! Look at them! They look amazing! Easygardener from Green Forks shows off the produce, adding: "Thought I'd enter these before I ate them." 
Rubbing our noses in it! 

















A final absolutely gorgeous entry from MissHathorn at Mustard Plaster. Aren't they just something else? Six tomatoes on a plate: (clockwise from the top) Omar's Lebanese, Golden Queen, Tondino di Madura, Pineapple, Green Bell, Yellow Ruffles.


















And one more from City Girl Colleen at rus in urbis


6 comments:

VP said...

Are they supermaket toms?

Iris said...

Thanks for entering my tomatoes, Emma. I'm writing a new blog post right now that will link to your emsworth village show.

Anonymous said...

It's my failed O-level maths isn't it?

emmat said...

you what???????

emmat said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
emmat said...

oh wait, maybe it's a ref to the fact that there aren't actually six in the "guide picture", right, anon, I'm taking it down.