Wednesday 6 August 2008

LIVESTOCK 2: MOST IMPRESSIVE GARDEN AMPHIBIAN OR REPTILE















Can I just reiterate, send me a jpeg. Not the actual critter. 





A talented frog, from VP's garden. She says: "I have many amphibians in the garden, but this one has a special talent - it can tell the time!"


















18 August
Amanda says, from Consecon, Ontario: "They're not terribly impressive in themselves, I suppose. But you've got to be impressed by the way that I got them to line up for this photo!" 

On the contrary, I find them both impressive and slightly scary. They are Northern Leopard Frogs, btw. Check out her blog for more amazing stories of life as a transplanted Canadian; in particular a gross caterpillar that frankly gives the whole genre a bad name.























And from James A-S - with a title quoting the Frank Sinatra classic:

"One for my baby (and one more for the Toad)".

If you don't mind me saying those toads look remarkably horny. 


















19 August
Just check this dude out! It's from Fat Rascal, who says: 
"You have here - Peep the toad. He's a midwife toad (alytes obstreticans) and peeps - a lot!"

Loving that Latin name! 

















Another good Frenchie one from Fat Rascal: "The big green lizard who lives by my pond." 

It looks like a dinosaur, are you sure it's safe?


















Finally today, Happy Mouffetard encloses this snap with the following complaint:

"I was shocked at your blatant 'invertebratist' class of "impressive garden amphibian or reptile", so am submitting a 'wildcard' entry. My concrete octopus is the guardian of the Gunnera. Just because he doesn't have a backbone doesn't mean he has no feelings!"

Happy M, I must apologise: I do not have a problem with invertebrates generally (and in fact if anyone has a particularly good New Forest Shield Bug photo they want to send in, be my guest). I am not even prejudiced against the crustaceans. My problem is simply Molluscophobia, owing to the incident of August 1976 involving a Scallop and Blackberry Crumble with Clotted Cream.  I'd rather we didn't mention it again, as even now it can still cause me pain (and a degree of nausea) but in a gesture of good faith I post the pic. 















22 August
Moved some fuchsias today and found one of my frogs, who have been missing for weeks. Very happy to see this young lady, especially as I caught her hanging about next to two different types of mollusc:















However, I will not be expecting her to eat this monster (note dirty fingernails).















26 august
Ms J. of Cambridge sends the following, after I demanded the snap: 

"I've attached the snail orgy. Or as one person said on a wildlife thread where I posted it, they're "having a cuddle, ah bless". I think she was joking."















And also from Mrs J: "This is for the most impressive garden amphibian or reptile - not a particularly impressive frog as such, but it is doing a very impressive balancing act on a bit of Euonymus between two pots - there is nothing underneath it but leaves."
Very impressive. Get on the phone to Cirque du Soleil would be my advice. 














I get to enter one because of FINDING A SLOWWORM AT THE ALLOTMENT on thursday evening (well my boyfriend did but I had the camera).
















From Happy Mouffetard, last minute: "The gods have been smiling on me this afternoon - I managed to stumble across this fine creature at the allotment. Not a great photo, as we only take the small camera down the plot but he's a handsome beastie."

2 comments:

Arabella Sock said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Arabella Sock said...

Oops - that was me. I wanted one of those green lizards and the splendid octopus!