Wednesday 6 August 2008

ART AND DESIGN 4: MINIATURE GARDEN














I save the very best for last. The category which commands ultimate respect in my house: the category which requires the steadiness of hand of a brain surgeon combined with the horticultural skills of a Japanese bonsai master.  Bring on your miniature masterpieces! 





13 august
James A-S sends this: 

"To the uneducated it may well look like a load of old weeds that somebody dumped in a plastic pot and forgot to do anything about for over a year but...
to the savvy gardener it is obvious that a great deal of thought and effort has gone into the creation of this exuberant celebration of nature's beneficence.
Symbolic of mans struggle against the hostile futilty of life.
Emblematic of the great spiritual heights which we as gardeners and citizens of the universe can attain.
A metaphor for modern life and a thought provoking homage to the works of Chicory Tip."
























Meanwhile, I saw the garden shown below in Sussex while at a wedding. I think everyone got a bit confused about why I was taking photos pointing in the opposite direction from the bride and groom but, well, I never really liked those two anyway. 
















18 August
VP sends another entry - look at this gorgeous little assemblage. 

"My soil's limy, so I have a homage to Japanese Gardens in a pot. I'm surprised they didn't give up the ghost ages ago! It's an Acer shirasawanum 'Aureum', 2 Pieris japonica 'Little Heath' and a Rhododendron Diamant Group. All in one pot and thriving somehow..."


No comments: