Wednesday 6 August 2008

STOP PRESS: PRESERVES BEAUTY CONTEST ANNOUNCED

After a funtabulous day at Wisley and after receiving a fantastic pic I could not resist, I have announced a new preserves category. 

The committee originally decided against including jams and preserves because they would have to be judged purely on looks. (Unless you can also manage to stump up a photo of someone guzzling your preserve, whilst making an expression of indescribable bliss.) If the world was judged just on looks, no one would ever eat lime marmalade, which would definitely make it a worse world in my book. Judging preserves merely on their looks seems to me to directly relate to the superficiality of today's modern supermarket culture.

However I then secured a £3million contract from Sainsbury's and now I don't care anymore. Let's proceed on the assumption that it's all about Lookin' Good. 


19 august
Anyway look - the first entry is this, from Amanda at SomeoneElse's Kitchen: "You'll notice that marrow features in them rather a lot," she says, very endearingly. 
 












26 august

From VP, a really bittersweet story: "Here's the preserves entry I'm submitting on behalf of my mother in law. Hubby had to clear her house out last week as it was sold (she's now in a home), so we've 'inherited' various jars of jam. It's quite poignant really as it shows that only 2 years ago, she was still capable of making her garden's surplus into the jam we've been enjoying for so long. So this is my tribute to her."

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Lovely
xx

Amanda said...

Er, am I allowed to concede defeat on this one and bow out gracefully in the face of VP's wonderfully touching entry?